he City of Prescott was founded in 1864. The same year, Citizens Cemetery, which has also been known as the Town Cemetery, Prescott Cemetery, City Cemetery, County Cemetery and Citizens Burying Ground, was first utilized in June of that year with the burial of Colorado Legislator Joel Woods. Located on East Sheldon Street, Citizens Cemetery was purchased from private parties by the County in 1884. The cemetery was in use from 1864 until 1933. Subsequently, the cemetery was permanently closed to new burials by the Board of Supervisors except for those who had already leased plots at $99 per plot. No additional plots were leased after that date. A stone wall was constructed around the cemetery in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). In the last 15 years, the cemetery has been partially fenced, primarily through the efforts and fund-raising of Yavapai Cemetery Association.
Since its establishment in 1995, Yavapai Cemetery Association volunteers have worked closely with Yavapai County to preserve, restore, enhance and protect Citizens Cemetery. Additional volunteers are always needed. If you are interested in volunteering, or in donating to restoration or enhancement projects for Citizens Cemetery, please see our contact information to the right. Donations to Yavapai Cemetery Association may be tax deductible pursuant to IRS Code Sec. 170 (c)(1).