New Voter Registration Information
State of Arizona Registration Information
Proposition 200, passed by the voters of Arizona at the 2004 General Election, which became effective January 24, 2005, requires that proof of citizenship must be submitted with all Arizona State voter registration forms. This includes a move from one county in Arizona to another county. This does not include changes to address and/or party to current registrations within the same county.
In order to vote for State and local elections the following evidence of United States citizenship must be provided:
- An Arizona driver’s license number (or copy of the license) or non-operating identification license number (or copy of the identification license), issued after 10/01/1996.
- A driver’s license or non-operating identification license from another state that identifies United States citizenship (enhanced driver’s license).
- A legible photocopy of a birth certificate with the name of the applicant that verifies United States citizenship.
- A legible photocopy of the pertinent pages of a United States passport.
- United States naturalization certificate number or the presentation of the original certificate of naturalization. (If only the number is provided, the County Recorder must verify the number with INS prior to adding the applicant to the voter rolls).
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Card Number, Tribal Treaty Card Number or Tribal Enrollment Number.
National Voter Registration Information
The Arizona Attorney General’s Office released a legal opinion that voters who registered to vote in Arizona using the National Voter Registration form and who did not provide proof of citizenship at the time of registration, are eligible to vote only for federal races/candidates. Those voters may not vote for state or local offices or sign petitions in state or local matters.
If proof of citizenship is not provided by twenty-nine (29) days prior to the next election, you will only be eligible to vote for federal offices. The Attorney General opinion will preclude your eligibility to vote on any state or local candidates or propositions unless you provide the proof of citizenship prior to twenty-nine (29) days before the election.