Click on a category to the left to filter the list of FAQs below.

Can I get restitution for my monetary losses as a result of the defendant’s crime against me?

If you have suffered a monetary loss because of the crime committed against you, the judge may order restitution in the amount of the loss if the defendant is found guilty.  If the defendant does not pay the restitution, notify the judge and contact our Victim Services Division for information on how to file a restitution lien against the defendant’s property.

Do I have to attend court hearings?

A defendant must appear at all scheduled court hearings unless the judge specifically excuses him or her.  Victims or other witnesses need not appear at court hearings unless subpoenaed to do so.  They are, however, always welcome to attend.

Do I have to testify at a trial if I don’t want to?

If you are the defendant, you have the right to remain silent and do not have to testify.  The State has the burden of proving the case against you without your testimony.  If you are the victim or a witness, you must testify if subpoenaed to do so.  If you have concerns about testifying, talk to the prosecutor who is handling the case.

Does the Legal Arizona Workers Act make it a state crime to employ an unauthorized alien?

No.  It is a federal crime to intentionally or knowingly employ an unauthorized alien, but it is not a state crime because federal law “preempts” (overrules) state law for criminal enforcement of immigration law.   The Legal Arizona Workers Act allows the state in a civil suit to ask for suspension or revocation of many of the licenses necessary to do business in the state of Arizona.

How can I contact the prosecutor assigned to my case?

You will be notified by mail who your assigned prosecutor is.  Otherwise, you can call the office.  You will need to know the defendant’s name and if possible, the court case number.  Our prosecutors are often in court all day so please be prepared to leave a message with telephone numbers where you can be reached.

How do I file a Complaint?

You may file a Complaint with the Arizona Attorney General, 1275 West Washington, Phoenix, Arizona 85007 or with the County Attorney in the county where the violation takes place. In Yavapai County, you may obtain a Complaint Form three different ways:

(1) pick up a Complaint Form in person at the Yavapai County Attorney’s Office; 
(2) call the Yavapai County Attorney's Office and request that a Complaint Form be mailed to you; or 
(3) download and print the Complaint Form  from the Yavapai County Attorney’s Website. 

Complaints made to the Yavapai County Attorney’s Office must be in writing and delivered or mailed to the Yavapai County Attorney’s Office, Attention: Legal Workers Compliance Division.

What happens at the case management conference?

The prosecutor and the attorney for the defendant meet with the judge to focus on the issues of the case, argue motions, and set a trial date if necessary.

What happens if a false or frivolous Complaint is filed?

A person that files a false and frivolous Complaint is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor and will be criminally prosecuted. The crime is punishable by a fine of up to $500 per individual and up to $2,000 per enterprise, and up to 30 days in the county jail.

What happens when I file a Complaint with the Yavapai County Attorney’s Office?

The Yavapai County Attorney’s Office will investigate the Complaint to determine if a violation of the Legal Arizona Workers Act has occurred.  The investigation will include verification with the federal Department of Homeland Security of the alleged unauthorized alien’s authority to work, and an evaluation of whether the employer intentionally or knowingly employed an unauthorized alien.

What is Early Disposition Court (EDC)?

This is the first time the defendant makes a court appearance.  At this hearing, the judge will ask the defendant if he or she is pleading guilty or not guilty to the charges and the parties exchange information about the case.

What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?

A misdemeanor is a crime punishable by a fine and no more than one year in the county jail.  A felony is a crime that carries the possibility of a prison sentence at the state Department of Corrections.

What is the difference between Justice Court and Superior Court?

Misdemeanors are prosecuted in Justice Courts and felonies are prosecuted in the Yavapai County Superior Courts. There are five Justice Courts in Yavapai County located in Prescott, Mayer, Seligman-Ashfork, Bagdad-Yarnell, and Verde Valley, and eight superior courts.

What is the Legal Arizona Workers Act?

The Legal Arizona Workers Act, passed in 2007, is found in Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) sections 23-211 to 23-214.  The Legal Arizona Workers Act allows a County Attorney to bring a civil suit to suspend or revoke state and local Arizona business licenses if a business intentionally or knowingly employed non-citizens that do not have the right to work in the United States (an “unauthorized alien”). 

Complaints of violation of the Legal Arizona Workers Act may be filed with the Attorney General or the County Attorney where the violations took place.  The Attorney General or County Attorney will investigate Complaints that a business is employing an unauthorized alien.

What licenses are covered?

The law defines license as “any agency permit, certificate, approval, registration, charter or similar form of authorization that is required by law and that has been issued by any agency for the purpose of operating a business in this state.”  “License” includes business formation documents under Arizona Revised Statutes Title 10 and Title 29, and transaction privilege licenses under Title 42.

An agency is defined as “any agency, department, board or commission of this state or a county, city or town that issues a license for purposes of operating a business in this state.”

What licenses are excluded?

The law exempts professional licenses and licenses issued under Arizona Revised Statutes Title 45 (water regulation) and Title 49 (regulation of the environment).

What will happen if the court finds a violation?

For a first violation of the statute, the employer will be placed on probation, and depending on the facts of the case, the employer may have its business licenses temporarily suspended.  Terms of probation and suspension vary, and are based on the culpability of the business.  If the court finds the employer knowingly employed an unauthorized worker, the employer will be placed on probation for 3 years.  For an intentional violation, the employer will be placed on probation for 5 years.  The business will be ordered to terminate all unauthorized aliens and report compliance to the County Attorney and to report to the County Attorney all new employees hired during the term of probation.

For a second violation during probation, the employer will have all licenses necessary to do business in the location the violation occurred permanently revoked. If the business does not have a specific location for their business, their general state licenses will be revoked.

Where can I get a police report?

If you are the defendant, your lawyer will receive the police report and other information about the state’s case directly from the prosecutor.  If you are the victim, you may obtain a free copy of the police report from the Victim Services Division.

Who is “an unauthorized alien?”

Any person that is not a United States citizen or permanent residence and who is not authorized to work in the United States under federal law (8 U.S.C. 1324a(h)(3)).

Will a civil suit be filed for every Complaint?

No.  The law and court rules require that civil lawsuits to revoke an employer’s licenses be based on reasonable facts that show the business intentionally or knowingly employed an unauthorized alien.  The County Attorney must prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the violation occurred. If the investigation shows that it cannot be proven that the employer intentionally or knowingly employed an unauthorized alien, the civil suit cannot be filed.
Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2019 by Yavapai County Government