What is Health Education?
Health Education provides residents of Yavapai County with information...
See also: HIV/AIDS Prevention and Support
Why is it needed?
Community health education encourages behavior changes which increase physical vitality and healthy living. When provided useful health education, people can increase their physical activity, choose not to use tobacco, and make better health choices in general which will lower their risk of chronic disease, improve overall health, and lead to better quality of life.
Who is eligible?
Some programs are limited on a space-available basis, but our education services are offered to benefit all residents of Yavapai County.
Is there a cost?
There are no costs for any of these programs.
What are the goals of the programs?
- Provide opportunities for adults and children to increase their physical activity levels safely.
- Support students who choose not to use tobacco products.
- Provide tobacco cessation classes that will ultimately help people quit tobacco use.
- Provide 6-week workshops to help people develop skills and awareness to cope with limitations related to chronic health conditions.
- Provide information to businesses governed by the Smoke-Free Arizona Law.
- Provide Abstinence Plus health education to youth.
What has the program achieved?
Physical Activity Health Educators arrange community and school-based programs which provide incentives and instruction on how to increase physical activity levels. For adults, we support the Mall Walkers program.
Health Educators offer a number of Healthy Living Workshops in several communities.
Health Educators make classroom presentations to help prevent the initiation of tobacco use in children. Health Educators also offer worksite wellness programs to businesses in the area, focusing on the areas of tobacco cessation, physical activity and nutrition. Facilitators lead group classes which help people quit tobacco use in the Prescott and Verde Valley areas.
Program staff provide education and signage to local businesses regarding how to comply with the Smoke-Free Arizona law. Our staff also investigate complaints related to the Smoke-Free Arizona law that prohibits smoking in most businesses that serve the public.
Where are the Health Education services available?
Our services are available by arrangement with various community centers and schools, or other locations posted online or in local newspapers.